MLK Day Annual Celebration
Celebration of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Don't miss this incredible annual event, commemorating the life and times of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. hosted by the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History presented by Morgan Stanley. View a full schedule of events below.
Enjoy FREE Museum-wide family activities, including face painting, a live artist, moderated youth discussions, educational films and a lot more. FREE Museum-wide family activities. No ticket purchase necessary for family events scheduled from 10 AM - 5 PM.
8:00 AM: The day’s events begin with a breakfast at 8 a.m. (museum doors open at 7 a.m.), with an invocation by Rev. Nicholas Hood III, Senior Pastor of Plymouth United Church of Christ. Followed by musical selections from Mr. Ken Boyd and vocalist Ms. Shahida Nurullah.
9:00 AM: Keynote presentation of "Whose King?: Claiming the Man who Died for America's Soul" will be given by Earl Lewis, Ph.D in the museum’s General Motors Theatre. Dr. Lewis is currently the Thomas C. Holt Distinguished University Professor of History, Afro-American and African Studies, and Public Policy at the University of Michigan.
Commemorative MLK Breakfast Program | 8 AM - 10 AM
- 7 AM | Rotunda - Doors open for breakfast
- 8 AM | Rotunda - Breakfast begins--welcome and introductions from Eric E. Peterson, board member (General Motors Theater opens for keynote lecture ticket holders at this time)
- 8:50 AM | Rotunda - Breakfast ends--guests invited to enter General Motors Theater
- 9 AM | General Motors Theater - Keynote address from Dr. Earl Lewis
- 10 AM | General Motors Theater - Breakfast program ends
MLK Day Free Family Programming | 10 AM - 5 PM
- 10:30 AM - 1 PM | General Motors Theater - Documentary screening of King in the Wilderness (2018)
- 12 PM - 3 PM | Rotunda - Performance of I Walked With Him (ages 10+), featuring actors inspired by the work of Dr. King, supported by The Wright staff
- 10 AM - 11 AM | Orientation Theater - Feature film screening of Selma (2014)
- 11:30 AM - 1 PM | Orientation Theater - Performance of I Talked With Him (ages 10+), featuring historic portrayals by the Detroit Association of Black Storytellers
- 2 PM - 3:30 PM | Orientation Theater - The People's Food (ages 17+), presentation by Hanifa Adjuman of the Detroit Black Community Food Security Network
- 1 PM - 2:30 PM | The Wright Community Gallery - Featured exhibition, African American Artists: Catalysts of Change
- 2 PM - 2:30 PM | General Motors Theater - 2020 Alpha MLK Service Event - Dossin School
- 2:30 PM - 4 PM | General Motors Theater - 2020 Alpha MLK Service Event - Performances and Step & Stroll
- 3:30 PM - 5 PM | The Wright Community Gallery - The Long Home of African American Music, a musical presentation by DJ EQuad
- 10 AM - 4 PM | Classrooms - Face painting and King Crowns in the Kids Corner (ages 3-10 years)
- 1 PM - 4 PM | Inspiring Minds Gallery - Adversity & Adventure: Black Superheroes, presented by It Figures, Inc.
- 1 PM - 5 PM | Lower Level - Snacks and vendor tables selling merchandise